Yonge-Eglinton neighbourhood steps up to help new neighbours
The Yonge-Eglinton neighbourhood, the area’s MPP and members of the RRA, welcomed our new neighbours with donations on a bright and sunny long weekend. Local residents and businesses* donated small appliances, clothing, kitchen and bathroom essentials, and storage containers to help the residents at 55-65 Broadway set up their households as part of the City of Toronto’s Interim Housing initiative.
Dr. Jill Andrew, MPP for Toronto St. Paul came by to meet the staff and learn more about what they need to ensure successful integration and transition for the residents.
Thank you to everyone who donated and if you’re interested in contributing, please call the Shift Leader at 437-343-8057 to arrange a drop-off at the front door of 65 Broadway Ave. All donations must be coordinated with the Shift Leader ahead of time. This will ensure social distancing and safety for everyone.
Here are the requested items:
· Small appliances, e.g. kettles, toasters, coffee makers, irons
· Kitchen/ cooking utensils e.g. can and bottle openers, wooden spoons, spatulas
· Pots/lids, pans and cookie sheets
· Cutlery and dishes
· Lamps with working light bulbs if possible
· Brooms, dustpans
· Personal hygiene items/Toiletries: soaps, shampoo; hairbrushes, combs, nail clippers, sanitary pads and tampons; disposable razors; toothbrushes, toothpaste
· Large plastic containers for pet food storage
· Used clothing: especially sweat pants, sweat shirts, t-shirts, pants, spring jackets – Please ensure clothing is in good shape, clean, folded, placed in plastic bags, indicating size and possible gender
· New undergarments: underpants, socks, bras
· Wall art or other wall embellishments
· Dollarama Gift Cards in small denominations ($10/$20)
*A big thanks to the following businesses for their donations: